Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Getting Serious or Take a Breath and Start Again

Who am I kidding? How much more serious about being published can I possibly get? Any more serious and I would have to try bribing literary agents; you know, start selling stuff, like the family heirlooms, my dog, my firstborn ... Or I could fling my body across the desk of an agent, clinging to their lapels while bawling out his or her name, begging on pain of death that they represent me. Yep, that's pretty serious. Manic, but serious.

But who's got the time?

So I continue commit myself to more practical solutions to getting published. For instance, I have upgraded my website to where I'm quite proud of my branding and marketing. I now have website profile pages on Goodreads, on Romance Writers of America, and Wattpad (whoever they are). Speaking of Wattpad, I've even posted a novel for folks to read and offer comments. And there are the many Facebook pages that I have LIKED and groups for black women writers that I've joined. Now that's fun.

I'm starting to enjoy this writing community-group-profile-member-interracial author-kind of thing. I've entered contests (won first place in the 2014 CIMRWA), I am submitting to anthologies, sending out queries, sample chapters, and synopsizes. I stare at this screen until my eyes go blurry, I will be attending conferences, meeting folks, I may start a local writers group, and I may also find time to sleep.

And when all is said, I continue to write and envision what I will write next. And life will go on even after I get published.

No comments:

Post a Comment